Monday, March 21, 2011

The Swan's Speech

It seems I can never find the time ( or indeed make the time ) to go and see movies when they initially come out anymore.

The last exception to that was for "Star Trek", the fun version. That's the one that Bad Robot productions brought out in 2009. I did see that movie on opening weekend with my dad, my partner in Star Trek since William Shatner debuted as Captain Kirk in 1966.

So this weekend, when I found myself with a lot of seat time in a plane, I watched both "Black Swan" and "The King's Speech".

No doubt both were worth every bit of the acclaim granted to them by the Oscars.

Natalie Portman was terrifying as her sanity slipped away in the Black Swan. In fact, I too, was having trouble separating real from fantasy in her life - kudos to both the screen writers and Portman for that.

Prior to seeing the reviews, I had read how this was a break-out role for her, But neither Hollywood nor critics seldom write the truth. This time was different. In my opinion, Portman distinguished herself as one of top actresses of her generation.

As the second film in my sitting, Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush we also great, but never had a chance against Portman. I was still twitchy from Black Swan, long after the King's Speech.

See them both, but one at a time. The King will thank you for it.


- YES! It is revolutionary. Posted using BlogPress from the INCREDIBLE iPad.